Scaffolding has been around for a very long time, here are some interesting facts about how scaffolding has been used over the years
- Scaffolding originated in North Africa and China where bamboo was a favourite material, which is still used today in parts of Asia
- The Great Wall of China was built using bamboo scaffold
- Until the 20th century, scaffolding was built mainly of wood. However, shortages in the quantity of wood in numerous regions urged companies to look for other sources.
- Michelangelo is considered the best scaffold designer in the history of mankind. It is believed that he designed a scaffold to paint the ‘Sistine Chapel.’
- Burj Khalifa in Dubai is the tallest freestanding structure in the world – 829m high with 163 floors! The construction took six years, and in order not to reveal the final height or design, scaffolding was built around the stories as they were built
- Back in prehistoric times inhabitants built of the Palaeolithic caves in South West France built staging to paint their walls, evidenced by the holes that still exist in the walls